— 22 November 2006 —
I hit another blogging plateau this morning. This is the eighth or ninth time I’ve plateaued with this whole “blogging” thing. I believe my current state of hate toward blogging stems from the merging of my Google Reader and Bloglines RSS feeds into one reader. Guess which one I chose.
There are, of course, warning signs that you are about to plateau but most people won’t notice them until after they are already there. And so, because I love you and care about your well being, I give you ten things to watch for; signs that you are about to make a statement like, “Blogging is soooo stoopid,” or the more popular and accurate, “Would you people just shut the fuck up?”
- Work starts to become more fun than keeping up on your feeds.
- You pick through your feed list marking read the ones that “don’t matter as much” and you find more and more that don’t matter as much every day.
- You’ve personally met most of the people whose feeds you read, you think they are good people at heart, but you start to question whether they are actually out to drive you insane by posting so much.
- Work starts to become more fun than keeping up on your feeds. I know, I said this twice, but dude… work!
- Skimming is now the way you read everything and it makes you miss important details, especially in emails from your boss about a meetings she’d like you to lead. Yes, doh! indeed.
- You welcome seeing the Bloglines Plumber because it means a break from the insanity.
- You dream about doing a performance piece at SXSW entitled “Pull My Feed” in which you recite your latest blog post to people who push the RSS icon you wear as a necklace.
- You write a post thinly veiling your inability to keep up with daily activities, likely worrying your parents and the 17 good souls that read you.
- You realise for the umpteenth time that more than 100 (insert your threshold here) feeds is entirely too much.
- You look at your feed list one morning (like today), see all those unread items, and mumble quietly to yourself, “Would you people just shut the fuck up?”
I’ll be in rehab for a few days. When I get back I will be marking all my feeds as “read” without reading them and starting from scratch. Likely, it is also time to winnow. Lifehacker, I’m looking at you.