— 25 February 2007 —
As some of you know, I helped (mostly by cheering) start 9rules so while what I am about to tell you may sound unreal, you can believe me as I was in. And by in, I mean in. I gots me the tattoo and 800 pieces of eight to prove it. So it’s all true.
9rules is actually just a new name for something very old. Here are the original 9 rules* that governed all those who signed the “member agreement.”
- For the disposition of all booty, the Captain shall have two full shares; the Master shall have one share and a half; the Doctor, Mate, Gunner, & Boatswain one share and a quarter.
- Every man shall have a vote in the affairs of moment. He shall have a equal title to fresh provisions or strong liquors, at any time seized, and may use them at pleasure, unless a scarcity makes necessary, for the good of all, to vote a retrenchment.
- He that shall be found Guilty of taking up any unlawful weapon on board the ship by us taken, so as to strike or abouse one another, in any regard, shall suffer what punishment the Captain and the majority of the Company shall think fit. Every man’s quarrels shall be ended onshore, by sword or pistol.
- He that shall run away during an Engagement, or keep any secret from the Company, shall be marooned with one bottle of powder, on bottle of water, one small firearm, and a single shot.
- If any gold, jewels, silver, etc., be found on board any prize taken, to the value of a single piece of eight, & if the finder did not deliver it to the Quartermaster in the space of 24 hours, he shall suffer what punishment the Captain and Majority shall think fit.
- If any man is found guilty of gaming, or of defrauding another member of the Company to the value of a shilling, he shall be marooned or shot.
- That man that shall strike another whilst these Articles are in force shall receive Moses’ Law (that is 40 Stripes lacking one) on the bare back.
- That man shall not keep his arms clean, fit for an engagement, or neglect his business, shall be cut off from his share and suffer such other punishment as the Captain and the Company shall think fit.
- If any man shall lose a joint in time of an engagement, he shall have 400 pieces of eight; if he lose a limb, 800.
Consider this a warning: 9rules is acting all cool, but the reality is that it has gathered all these blogs under the newest incarnation of the Jolly Roger in order to become powerful enough to sail the webified seas (as it were) to loot, plunder, an pillage their way to domination.
Ye’ve been warned…
*boosted from John Matthews’ book Pirates. Go buy it as it’s a good read and fun for kids too.